Not so lucky with Rita

To the friends of Beth Shalom:Our precious shul suffered substantial water damage as a result of hurricane Rita. Water poured into the sanctuary and the social hall through the air vents destroying the ceilings and flooding both areas. Our roof is intact and the building is otherwise structurally sound, but we need extensive repairs.
Unfortunately, I was the one who discovered the damage. I went to shul early to see if we had power. It was clear when I drove up that we did not. I took a walk around the building to see if we had an exterior damage and then went into the building with my flashlight. When I got to the end of the religious school wing I heard the sound of rushing water and a few steps later was splashing through water in the hallway. I followed the sound to the social hall and saw the water streaming in and the ceiling tiles falling. I ran to the sanctuary and the water was coming in there as well. I made my way up to the bima and did a quick check of the Torah scrolls, found they were dry, and started making telephone calls.
As soon as the first few volunteers arrived we began to evacuate the Sifrei Torah. This was the second evacuation for the Touro and New Orleans Jewish Day School scrolls. All of them are now safe and are being kept by a congregant. More help arrived and we began moving prayerbooks, chumashim, and ritual objects. James and Jessica came and worked at moving computers and other electronic equipment.
A professional recovery crew soon arrived, but our people did not turn the work over to them. They picked up shovels and squeeges as well. Over the course of the day dozens of volunteers threw themselves into the hot and dirty work. I am particularly proud of our religious school kids who so clearly love their synagogue. Many thanks also to the men of Sigma Alpha Mu who also pitched in.
While the clean-up was still in process, Dr. Bob and I met with Rev. Tommy French of or neighbor, Jefferson Baptist Church, to make plans for the High Holydays. Thank God for good friends. Rev. French told us that we could use his facilities for as long as needed. Services for this Shabbat will be there as well as services for the High Holydays. Our friends at the Unitarian Church of Baton Rouge and at University Baptist offered their buildings as well.
We will be fine and our sanctuary and social hall will be restored. Still, it made the heart ache to see such damage. The nechemta, the comfort, in all this was watching the congregation pull together and do what needed to be done. The people of Beth Shalom are the most eloquent sermon on the meaning of community that could ever be given.
2 Comments:
Rabbi Z,
Thank you for your leadership in these challenging times.
An appreciative congregant
there was an appeal in my shul for rita/katrina victims i hope some of the money reaches you
wishes all of you the best
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home