Wednesday, March 29

San Francisco I


Beth Shalom V.P. Dr. Bob Krupkin and I just returned Monday on the red-eye from San Francisco. Poor Dr. Bob had to turn around and head right out to Bunkie for work. I went home and collapsed.

Bob and I were both overwhelmed by the warmth of our welcome at Congregation Sherith Israel. My former congregation faces a huge challenge itself as it must make an enormous investment in its historic building to meet the city’s demands for a seismic retrofit of the structure. I certainly would have understood if, under these circumstances, Sherith Israel’s leadership had felt unable to help us. Many thanks to Rabbi Larry Raphael, Sherith Israel President David Newman, Religious School Director Nancy-Sheftel Gomes, and Mimi Greisman for their help in promoting our visit.

I was invited to speak at Shabbat Services at Sherith Israel on Friday Night. I felt like I was in a time warp as I spoke from the spot I had led services from so many times and as I looked out at the faces of so many old friends. It was a joyous reunion.

We obviously could not collect contributions on Friday night, but many people told us that we could expect to see their contribution soon. Bob and I ate Shabbes dinner with my dear friend Naomi. What a blessing it was to see her again.

Bob and I popped in to Torah study (look for a little story about this in a separate post) at Sherith Israel on Shabbes morning and had the opportunity to distribute our materials again and to talk to another group of Sherith Israelites about our situation. Rabbi Raphael once again was very gracious to us. At one point he said “ I am going to make this pitch so Stan doesn’t have to. Join us on Sunday for Stan’s presentation and bring your checkbook.” What a mentsch.

At one point in our visit, David Newman took me aside and said that as far as he was concerned there is no such thing as a “former” Rabbi. “Once you are our Rabbi you are our Rabbi for good.” His words are indicative of the open heart of the congregation, which has warmly embraced Rabbi Raphael after loving Rabbi Weiner for so many years. Clearly, there is room in Sherith Israel’s heart for a little Louisiana congregation as well. I think we can expect that when we rededicate our rebuilt Sanctuary and social hall, there will be some San Franciscans in attendance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home